My husband and I were having one of those fights that is a refrain in our marriage—the begging for affection (me), the impatience with the begging and wanting to be left alone (him). What was going to be a weekend jaunt together in lower Manhattan saw us storm off our separate ways. As I headed south on a crowded #1 train, the only thing that offered any solace was the thought of a chive pancake at China North Dumpling.
On Essex Street, North is a nondescript literal hole in the wall where a woman is always standing at a long butcher block table in front of a daunting pinkish-grey mound of pork dumpling filling. I can’t help thinking of Rumpelstiltskin, except here the maiden spins pork, chives and slickery eggs into gold, but happily, joking now and then to the woman at the counter or a man who comes in dragging giant sacks of flour. The steamed dumplings, eight for $2.00, are tender and juicy. Spritz soy sauce and Srichacha in the shallow metal bowls and scoot the runaway dumplings into your mouth with chopsticks. We thought it was one of the cheapest, most satisfying meals in New York City—that is, until the discovery of the chive pancake.
To begin with, the chive pancake (2/$1.50!) isn’t really a pancake. Just-greasy-enough puffy bread encapsulates a little packet of vermicelli noodles, bits of hard boiled eggs, chives and perhaps even a hint of cilantro. There’s a ship-in-the bottle or soup dumpling kind of “how did they get THAT inside of THIS?” magic to this toothsome concoction. It’s why I think nothing of taking an hour and three trains and then another half hour of getting lost between Soho and Chinatown, to get there. Especially if my mood is askew.
Thankfully, the little dumpling shop is always busy or its drab surroundings would have played into my disenchantment with my marriage. Yet seeing the two pancakes in the metal bowl made me think of the too-brusque husband, and our strong bond over cooking and eating, and how fun it would be to share with him.
I didn’t share; I don’t have that kind of self control. But reader, I texted him. “Ate two chive pancakes at North. Feel totally happy. Meet at Caffe Roma?” The little grey bubbles percolate on my iPhone screen. A text: “OK. I’m crossing Delancey now.” Marriage, saved from imminent collapse by a delicate chive pancake at North Dumpling.
China North Dumplings
27A Essex Street (btw Grand and Hester)
- January 2017
- February 2017
- Mar 1, 2017 Savory Surprise at a Sweets Stalwart Mar 1, 2017
- Mar 3, 2017 When in Holland Have a Haring (Sandwich) Mar 3, 2017
- Mar 9, 2017 The Teeny Weeny Panini of Madison Avenue Mar 9, 2017
- Mar 15, 2017 Free Roamin' at Aroma Mar 15, 2017
- Mar 17, 2017 The Everyday Sandwich Mar 17, 2017
- Mar 23, 2017 Hype for an Anglo-Thai Hybrid Mar 23, 2017
- Apr 5, 2017 Wednesdays in Ensenada Apr 5, 2017
- Apr 7, 2017 Condiment-O-Mania Apr 7, 2017
- Apr 13, 2017 Puff n' Stuff for When Life is Tough Apr 13, 2017
- Apr 20, 2017 Bada Bing! Bada Jianbing! Apr 20, 2017
- Apr 26, 2017 Oldies but Goodies Apr 26, 2017
- Apr 29, 2017 Salmon Sammies: Seared, Baked, Poached Apr 29, 2017
- May 5, 2017 A Neighborhood Hub for Japanese Pub Grub May 5, 2017
- May 11, 2017 Mezze and Mingling May 11, 2017
- May 13, 2017 Bacon, Lettuce, & Tomato: A Return to Childhood May 13, 2017
- May 25, 2017 Miles from Mile End May 25, 2017
- May 30, 2017 Artichoke without the Striptease May 30, 2017
- May 31, 2017 Within Miles of Mile End May 31, 2017
- Jun 7, 2017 Hipster playground, Ping-Pong, Putt-Putt, Pizza and more Jun 7, 2017
- Jun 16, 2017 The New Kid on My Block: Junzi Kitchen Jun 16, 2017
- Jun 20, 2017 Bejeweled Bread and What To Do With It Jun 20, 2017
- Jun 23, 2017 Of Hemming and Herring Jun 23, 2017
- Jun 30, 2017 Mama Mia! Tramezzini! Jun 30, 2017
- July 2017
- August 2017
- Sep 2, 2017 The Sea, The Sea and the Sandwich Sep 2, 2017
- Sep 8, 2017 Hello Kitty Meets Astérix the Gaul: Harajuku Sushi & Crepes Sep 8, 2017
- Sep 21, 2017 A Hot Blistering Pocket of Italy in Carroll Gardens Sep 21, 2017
- Sep 30, 2017 Bazzini: Nuts for New Yorkers who are Nuts for New York! Sep 30, 2017
- Oct 9, 2017 You Want Potato Chips IN your Grilled Cheese? Oct 9, 2017
- Oct 18, 2017 Blocky City, Suburban Campus, Toney Town: We Eat in Connecticut Oct 18, 2017